Code of Conduct for Volunteers
The purpose of the Code of Conduct for Volunteers is to set out standards of behaviour expected from volunteers of Sapphire Youth Development Center. All volunteers should ensure that they have read and comply with this Code of Conduct.
Volunteers should maintain the highest standards of behaviour in the performance of their duties by:
- Fulfilling their role as outlined in their written volunteer role description to a satisfactory standard;
- Performing their volunteer role to the best of their ability in a safe, efficient and competent way;
- Following the charity's policies and procedures as well as any instructions or directions reasonably given to them;
- Acting honestly, responsibly and with integrity;
- Treating others with fairness, equality, dignity and respect;
- Raising concerns about possible wrongdoing witnessed by the volunteer in the course of the volunteer's role with Sapphire Youth Development Center with [insert details/title of appropriate member of personnel];
- Meeting time and task commitments and providing sufficient notice when they will not be available so that alternative arrangements can be made;
- Acting in a way that is in line with the purpose and values of the charity and that enhances the work of the charity;
- Communicating respectfully and honestly at all times;
- Observing safety procedures, including any obligations concerning the safety, health and welfare of other people in line with training provided to volunteers;
- Reporting any health and safety concerns;
- Directing any questions regarding Sapphire Youth Development Center's policies, procedures, support or supervision to the volunteer's supervisor;
- Addressing any issues or difficulties about any aspect of their role or how they are managed in line with Sapphire Youth Development Center's grievance procedures;
- Declaring any interests that may conflict with their role or the work of the charity (e.g. business interests or employment). If any doubt arises as to what constitutes a conflict of interest, volunteers may seek guidance from [insert details/title of appropriate member of charity's personnel];
- Keeping confidential matters confidential;
- Exercising caution and care with any documents, material or devices, containing confidential information and at the end of their involvement with Sapphire Youth Development Center returning any such documents, material in their possession;
- Seeking authorisation before communicating externally on behalf of Sapphire Youth Development Center;
- Maintaining an appropriate standard of dress and personal hygiene;
- Disclosing the fact that they have been charged with, or convicted of a criminal offence by prosecuting authorities (or given the benefit of the Probation of Offenders Act 1907 as amended) to [insert details/title of appropriate member of charity's personnel]. For the avoidance of doubt, volunteers are not required to disclose the fact or details of 'spent convictions' under the Criminal Justice (Spent Convictions and Certain Disclosures) Act 2016 (as amended) to Sapphire Youth Development Center.
Volunteers are expected NOT to:
- Bring the charity into disrepute (including through the use of email, social media and other internet sites, engaging with media etc.);
- Seek or accept any gifts, rewards, benefits or hospitality in the course of their role;
- Engage in any activity that may cause physical or mental harm or distress to another person (such as verbal abuse, physical abuse, assault, bullying, or discrimination or harassment on the grounds of gender, civil status, family status, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, race or membership of the Traveller community);
- Be affected by alcohol, drugs, or medication which will affect their abilities to carry out their duties and responsibilities while volunteering;
- Provide a false or misleading statement, declaration, document, record or claim in respect of Sapphire Youth Development Center, its volunteers, employees or charity trustees;
- Engage in any activity that may damage property;
- Take unauthorised possession of property that does not belong to them.
- Engage in illegal activity while carrying out their role.
- Improperly disclose, during or after their involvement with [charity name] ends, confidential information gained in the course of their role with Sapphire Youth Development Center.
Where a volunteer is found to be in breach of the standards outlined in this Code of Conduct or any of Sapphire Youth Development Center's other policies and procedures this may result in the volunteer's position being terminated. Notwithstanding the foregoing, volunteers should note that [insert Charity's name] may terminate a volunteer's position without cause.
Volunteers acknowledge that no employment relationship is created in the context of their role with Sapphire Youth Development Center.
The board of charity trustees will review the Code of Conduct for Volunteers at -year intervals or as appropriate. The [insert details/title of appropriate member of charity's personnel] is responsible for ensuring that this policy is implemented effectively. All other staff and volunteers, including charity trustees, are expected to facilitate this process.